ABOUT LEWIS QUARRIES
Lewis Purbeck Quarry
Lewis Quarries is a family owned business supplying stone to landscape designers, architects, contractors and to the public. We have been extracting Purbeck Stone continuously on the Isle of Purbeck for over 80 years for commercial, ecclesiastical and residential projects across the UK and further afield.
Purbeck Limestone is a unique resource as an exceptionally hard marble-like stone which is suitable for both external and internal applications. It is one of our most versatile British natural stones by virtue of its subtle tonal variations and exceptional durability.
Tones vary from pale Beige to deep grey/blue and different finishes can be applied to suit any style of home for maximum durability in both internal and external areas. Traditionally used in churches but equally at home in residential and commercial applications its flexibility also makes it a great option for the seamless continuation of interior flooring to exterior paving.
Aside from Purbeck stone we also draw on a wide range of British sandstones and limestones to supply finished products for flooring, paving and walling including cladding, traditional cobbles, setts, pitchers and flagstones. We can also supply structural landscape products such as rockery stone, landscape boulders and gravel along with small block which can be used for bank retention.
We’re passionate about natural stone and we believe that it enhances the environment. British stone, used both inside and outside, improves in appearance over time and is a beautiful, natural product.
We quarry from the following beds of stone:
- Purbeck Rag – Brown/Grey Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Roach – Off White to Dark Grey Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Thornback – Buff/Beige, Black Shells Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Whetson – Cream to Beige Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Freestone – Light Cream to Beige Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Laper – Beige to Blue Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Downs Vein – Light and Mid Cream to Beige Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Feather – Beige to Blue Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Cap – Black Chert Markings and Caramel Fossiliferous
- Purbeck Vyebit
- Purbeck New Vein – Brown/Grey Fossiliferus
As a natural product the stone colour variation may differ from the images depicted on our website. As a result we invite you to visit our quarry to view the stone for yourself; our quarry is located alongside the historic Priests Way, just between Worth Matravers and Langton Matravers. Please ring ahead on 01929 439 499 to confirm appointment and for directions.
Our opening hours are:
08.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday